First introduced to the Esquire Grill menu during Dine Downtown 2016, this rich and creamy tiramisu was such a hit that it found a home on the main menu. Now you can indulge in this decadent chocolate dessert at home!
Author: Harrison Ravazzolo, Chef, Esquire Grill
Recipe type: Dessert, Chocolate, Tiramisu
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 6 mins Total time: 26 mins
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 2 oz sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 ½ cups cream
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 Tbps sugar for whites, ¾ cup sugar for yolks
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup mascarpone
- ½ cup honey
- 3 tbps sugar
- zest of one lemon
- pinch of salt to taste
- 1 cup espresso
- 3 oz dark rum
For the Chocolate Mousse:
- Whip up 1 ½ cups cream to soft peaks & set aside.
- Melt chocolate on double broiler & set aside.
- Heat 1 cup cream, just to warm.
- On a small mixer add sugar, yolks & salt.
- Beat on high until light in color.
- Temper in the egg mix into the cream.
- On a low flame & whisking constantly, bring to about 155 degrees (test using a thermometer). Whisk egg/ cream mix into the chocolate & set aside to cool.
- Fold the chocolate into the whipped cream, ¼ at a time. (Folding with a pastry scraper or spatula works best, do not whisk).
- Chill to let set up.
For the Lady Fingers:
- Whip up egg whites until soft peaks, slowly rain in the sugar & continue to beat until stiff peaks & set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks & sugar until light in color.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolks, by hand (a pastry scraper or rubber spatula will work best. Do not whisk.)
- Slowly fold in flour & baking powder assuring no clumps of flour.
- Once smooth, pour on to a lined baking pan & smooth out with off set spatula.
- Bake 350 for 5-6 minutes or until a light brown.
- For the Mascarpone Mousse:
- Place all ingredients into a mixer & whisk until soft. It will take on the consistency of whipped cream.
- For Coffee Syrup:
- Mix espresso & dark rum.
To Layer & Assemble:
- Here at ESQ we cut out the ladyfinger sheets with a cookie cutter, about 2.5 inches for individual. It’s layered as follows: Espresso-soaked lady finger, mascarpone mousse, chocolate mousse, espresso soaked lady finger, mascarpone mousse, scrapped smooth and dusted with unsweetened cocoa powder.
Posted on 01/08/2016 at 12:00:00 AM