Savor the flavors of summer with this tasty Tuscan style salad! This delightful dish was served at Cafe Bernardo Midtown in celebration of Sacratomato Week last month. While tomatoes are the stars of this particular recipe, have fun and get creative by adding your own ingredients like olives, garlic, or anchovies.
Author: Keith Franzen, Sous Chef at Cafe Bernardo Midtown
Recipe type: Appetizer, Side-dish, Salad
- 4 California Grown Organic Heirloom Tomato
- 1 California Grown Organic Cucumber
- 1 loaf of French bread
- ¼ California Grown Organic red onion (medium size)
- California Grown Organic basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. 365 Everyday Value Organic capers (optional)
- ½ cup 365 Everyday Value Organic olive oil (to brush bread)
- For Dressing
- 1 tbsp. Fresh tomato juice
- 1tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- ¼ tbsp. 365 Everyday Value salt
- ¼ tbsp. 365 Everyday Value Organic pepper
- ½ cup 365 Everyday Value Organic olive oil
- Remove all crust from bread and cut into 1” slices.
- Brush bread with olive oil and lightly grill.
- Tear, or cut, bread into 1” cubes.
- Cut tomatoes into wedges.
- Peel, seed, & slice cucumber.
- Thinly slice onion lengthwise.
- Tear basil leaf.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomato juice, red wine vinegar salt, & pepper.
- Whisk in olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and dressing, except for basil.
- Sprinkle basil on top.
Posted on 08/03/2015 at 12:00:00 AM