The appetizing Napa Cabbage Salad was a favorite on the menu at the original Paragary’s Bar & Oven for many years. We have received a lot of requests for us to add this delectable salad to the new Paragary’s menu. While there are currently no plans to bring this mouthwatering salad back to Paragary’s, we think sharing our secret recipe with you is the next best thing!
Did you know that enjoying the Napa Cabbage Salad is a great way to ring in the New Year? While cabbage is relatively inexpensive, it is thought to be a symbol of prosperity and good fortune. Many cultures celebrate the new year by cooking cabbage in the hopes that it will bring them wealth in the new year. It’s worth a shot!
Napa Cabbage Salad
Author: Kurt Spataro, Executive Chef, Paragary Restaurant Group
Recipe type: salad, side dish, appetizer
Napa cabbage salad:
- 8 cups finely shredded Napa cabbage (organic)
- 1 cup finely shredded purple cabbage (organic)
- ½ cup finely shredded carrot (organic)
- ½ cup finely sliced scallion (organic)
- ¼ cup chopped, roasted cashews (365 Everyday Value organic)
- 2 grilled, Mary’s air-chilled boneless chicken breasts, cut into ¾” dice (optional)
Chinese Black Bean Vinaigrette:
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp chile flakes
- 1 Tbsp Chinese fermented black beans
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- Directions for Cabbage Salad:
- Combine all ingredients except cashews in large mixing bowl and toss with 1 cup black bean vinaigrettes. Divide among 4 entrée bowls and garnish with chopped cashews.
- Directions for Chinese Black Bean Vinaigrette:
- Combine garlic, ginger, chile flakes, black beans, mustard, sugar, soy sauce, and vinegar in a mixing bowl and whisk to dissolve sugar. Whisk in the oils in a slow steady stream.
Posted on 12/31/2015 at 12:00:00 AM