The time of year is upon us when we all feel the struggle between experiencing a sense of excitement and nostalgia about holiday festivities, while at the same time being overcome with anxiety about mass shopping hysteria. Shopping mall crowds are never something to look forward to with screaming children, ridiculously long lines, and parking lots that seem more like never-ending mazes.
Luckily, there is one way to avoid these mall mobs this year. The solution is to avoid the over-crowded, super-size, cookie-cutter shopping mall, and shop local for unique specialty items. To help you get started, we have put together a list of gifts that are sure to be a hit for the foodie in your life:
1.Paragary Restaurant Gift Card (any amount): For stress-free holiday shopping, give the gift that is simply delicious! I mean, who doesn’t love a gift card? Especially one that can be used at any of our 14 restaurants, cafes or bars. Gift cards may be purchased online, or at any of our locations.
2. Cookbook recommendation from Kurt Spataro, executive chef for Paragary Restaurant Group: This is Camino by Russel moore, Allison Hopelain with Chris Cole. The cookbook is named after Camino, a restaurant in Oakland, CA. The recipes included in the book are a reflection of the menu at Camino. The restaurant revolves around a fireplace and every dish comes from, or has been heated by the fireplace in some way. Kurt Spataro enjoys this restaurant because it is different than anything out there and it reflects a primal style of cooking. He says the cookbook is written from a unique, personal perspective. Chef Spataro really enjoys that Camino is not cliche or trendy, but simply a reflection of their food. He says they apply cool techniques, interesting combos, and cool cocktails. His favorite recipe in the book is the Camino version of a Negroni cocktail.
3. Preservation & Co. Gift Pack ($25-$60): Show someone that you really care when you select a gift pack that is guaranteed to hold only the best local, seasonal produce, and contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. All production is handled from start to finish in at 1717 19th in Midtown Sacramento to ensure quality and consistency. Good luck trying to decide which gift pack to order. If you love Bloody Marys from any of our locations, then you will be definitely be a fan of the Perfect Bloody Mary Gift pack (hint: we use their concoction). In fact, you might just want to order one of each for good measure. Visit their storefront at the address above or visit their website for easy purchasing.
4. SÉKA HILLS Handcrafted Wines, Olive Oil and Honey from the Capay Valley ($9-$55): Visit their website to purchase specialty gifts like Wildflower Honey, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, premium vinegars, wines, and almonds. You may purchase single quantities or choose from various delicious packages. The 11,000 total acres that make up SÉKA HILLS are owned and operated by members of the Yoche Dehe Wintun Nation tribe, and are farmed utilizing natural systems such as beneficial insects, covered crops, mulching, drip systems, and careful crop rotation cycles. When you give a gift from SÉKA HILLS, you will not only be giving the gift a high-quality, delicious product, but you will also be supporting sustainable farming practices. Paragary Restaurant Group is proud to use their products in our locations.
5. Vaneli’s Handcrafted Coffee ($2-$150): Have you ever wondered what made the coffee and espresso drinks at our locations taste so darn good? The answer is Vaneli’s, “a small batch custom roaster specializing in the highest level of quality coffee and espresso blends,” located in Rocklin, CA. With an emphasis on freshness, Vaneli’s will usually ship your order on the same day you place it. Visit their website for all your specialty coffee, tea, and espresso needs.
6. Del Rio Botanicals Gourmet Produce Box Delivery: You are sure to be on Santa’s ‘nice’ list this year when give the gift of Consumer Supported Agriculture. Freshly harvested, seasonal, specialty produce are delivered weekly, along with delicious recipes. Visit their website to learn more information about this healthy, thoughtful gift that keeps on giving.
7. Revolution Wines Box Set ($69): Sacramento’s only urban winery offers a pleasing selection of wines made only from the best locally sourced grapes. Their holiday box set includes a 2014 Chenin Blanc from Clarksburg, 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon from Sacramento, and a 2012 Zinfandel from El Dorado. How rustic and unique are the handmade crates made from Sacramento reclaimed wood by a local woodworker? While you can visit their website to learn more about what makes them special, I suggest visiting their winery and tasting room located at 2831 S Street, Sacramento, 95816.
8. Anything from DISPLAY: California, HOLLADAY Pop-up Shop: Let’s start off by saying you can get out of shopping all together by using their gift concierge service! However, you really want to do yourself a favor and stop by their store yourself to indulge in exclusive and rare finds from local brands and designers. All items in the store are specially selected to bring you the best of all things Sacramento! Visit their website for a sneak peek and then stop by 35th and Broadway to shop ‘til you drop.
When you shop local, you support our local economy. Your support is priceless to our wonderful city. Happy Holidays from the PRG family!
Posted on 11/28/2015 at 12:00:00 AM