This is a traditional “semi-freddo” recipe, made in three parts and then folded together at the end. ‘Semi-freddo’ means ‘semi-frozen’ in Italian! The creamsicle is a light but decadent dessert with all of my favorite details: sweet, creamy, bitter & crunchy all on one plate!
Author: Jodie Chavious, Pastry Chef, Paragary's Midtown
Recipe type: dessert, sweet, frozen
- 5 eggs, separated (365 Everyday Value Organic Cage-Free*)
- 1 cup sugar (365 Everyday Value Organi*)
- ¼ cup tangerine juice
- 2 c cream, whipped to soft peaks (Clover Organic*)
- pinch of salt
*Ingredients in () can be found at Whole Foods on Arden Way in Sacramento, CA labeled as "Paragary iEat Recipe Featured Item".
- Place egg whites in a mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until egg whites are a soft "creamy" peak.
- Place egg yolks, tangerine juice, ½ cup sugar, and pinch of salt in a bowl over a 'bain marie' pot.
- Whisk until 160 degrees.
- Pour into a separate mixing bowl and whip til cool and thick.
- Carefully fold all three (yolks, whites, and whipped cream) togetehr.
- Pour into a mold of your choice (Chef Recommendation: I've used bread pans, casserole dishes, just add a piece of parchment paper if you want to remove it from the pan to serve it.)
- Optional: You can add dollops of marmalade or toasted almonds.
- Place in freezer overnight.
Posted on 02/01/2016 at 12:00:00 AM